Last week on Southwest Airlines Flight 756 from Kansas City to McCarran Airport in Las Vegas, Nevada, passengers and flight crew were exposed to unknown fumes.
"Everyone started coughing and gagging and then we started coughing and gagging." passenger Connie Lasher says, "People were banging on the top of the oxygen mask guards trying to get them to open up".
The incident occurred at approximately 5PM on Thursday, February 5, 2009. Oxygen maskes dropped from the celling of the airplane when an unidentifiable substance consumed the passengers. The passengers and crew remained with their masks on for the duration of the flight, approximately 20 minutes.
The flight was taxied in on arrival and parked away from the terminal as emergency personnel responded. 6 out of 116 people were taken to the hospital after the event. The remaining passengers and crew were bused to the terminal.
Metro police Lt. Loren Napier told Fox 5 in Las Vegas that "a wire in the rear of the plane began sparking and arcing, creating an electrical smell that some passengers thought was pepper spray."
Southwest is reported to be investigating the incident.